The Potters house girls home
The length of the program is a minimum of 18 – 24 months.
It was founded in 1981.
They can detain 24 girls at present time.
The owner is Sandy Lopes. Her husband Manny also works at the facility.
Girls in this program are subject to continual verbal, physical, and sexual abuse at the hands of the programs owners, the Lopes, and from girls who have been in the program long enough to be "in charge."
Then detained in the program, the girls have to endure a period of minimum 3 weeks where they are followed by either a staff member or a senior girl in the program at all time. During this period there is no contact with the family - not even the parents.
They use a system, where the girls have earn point in order to receive privileges. Among these privileges are visits from their own familiy.
Other rules, which can be stated are:
- No TV, radios, tape recorders, magazines or newspapers.
- No excessive or expensive jewelry. No occult symbols or any kind of gang identification.
- No photographs (except of family members), diaries, or address books.
- Restricted menu.
- Search of the belongings of detained girls will be conducted when the girl enter and leave the facility.
- If any resident should run away, or otherwise invalidate the contract, any personal belongings left here will be sent home only at the parent’s request and expense. After 2 weeks, such items may be donated to charity.
When a girl is detained at the facility, a complete list of friends and family are made in case of a runaway.
- Letter communication: The girl communication with the parents only. All letters will be screened by the staff and are once approved sent to the parents only. All incoming mail will accepted only if it comes from the address of the parents.
- Phone communication: Phone privileges starts once the first 3 weeks period is over. However 3 conditions have to be met. It is stated on the homepage that they are:
*1) There are enough points
*2) The detained girls are on-level in school
*3) The detained girls behavior has been acceptable
When visiting the detained girls on the campus the following rules have to be obeyed: No visiting in the bedrooms. All visiting must be done in the living room, porch or on the grounds of the house.
The visits are getting longer as the girl can earn longer visits. The homepage states:
- After the first 3 months, a 2 hour day visit on the campus can be earned.
- After 5 months, a 3 hour day visit on on the campus can be earned.
- After 6 months, a 4 hour visit off premises are allowed, but in Highlands County.
- After 9 – 12 months, an overnight visit at home.
When visiting the campus the family has to meet dress code standards.
No info about acredited education was stated on the homepage.
It was a lockdown facility. On the homepage it was stated <ref>FAQ, archived version of the homepage</ref>:
We have a state-of-the-art security/monitoring system that is armed each evening. Every door and window is equipped with a sensor. Also, for the first three weeks of a resident's stay, a leadership resident is assigned to "shadow" (buddy system) the new resident.
- Info: Program homepage
- Info: Alternative program homepage (defunct january 20, 2008)
- Info: Insider Pages Reviews for The Potter's House Girls Home, Insiderpages
- Survivor group: Moms love is forever Support group on Yahoo for Stolen Babies, Exiled Parents, and Siblings missing brothers and sisters to provide support and healing to those who were affected by forced and coerced adoption.
- Forum: potters house girls home?, a thread on the Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora