Stone Mountain School
Stone Mountain School was located in a very remote forest area. The address is 126 Camp Elliott Road, Black Mountain, North Carolina 2871 <Ref>The facility on Google maps</Ref>
It was for boys only aged between 11 and 16 when they were detained at the facility. The boys were detained there for 12 months minimum.
It did open in 1990 and was owned by Aspen Education Group. 2013 the management announced that the facility would close <ref name="ade">Outdoor program for troubled teens closing, by Chris Knight, Adirondack Daily Enterprise, July 17 2013</ref>
The facility use a 6 level behavior modification system. Regarding education, there are no references to any of the regional accreditation bodies in the United States.
The levels are named
- Orientation (O): Lasting minimum 14 days.
- Level I: Lastning minimum 30 days, not counting if a person is dropped.
- Level II:
- Level III:
- Level IV:
- Level V:
The level system consist as mentioned of six levels. Each level consist of a number of tasks. (Source: Homepage of the program as it was in 2007)
A. Place your name at the top of each orientation level sheet
Daily: times for wake up; chores; morning group; campus chores; all mealtimes; school
times; afternoon activities; evening group; silence; and lights out.
On their webpage they claim that they have: "A Non-Public School License: Stone Mountain School is a licensed non-public school by the Governor's office of the State of North Carolina." and a "Letter of certification issued by the Division of Exceptional Children of the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction."
They also use the education as a part of their level system. From the old homepage:
- O Level: You must earn a minimum of 11 out of the possible 20 school points for one school week (Monday – Thursday). You must inform your school group that you are working on this requirement in the before school group on the first school day of the week. To maintain this requirement you must continue to earn a minimum of 11 points each week.
- Level I: You must earn a minimum of 14 out of the possible 20 school points for one week (Monday – Thursday). You must inform your school group that you are working on this requirement in the before school group on the first school day of the week. To maintain this requirement you must continue to earn a minimum of 14 points each week.
News / Media[redigér]
There have been some problems with the water supply, which could end up with teenagers becoming ill, if not corrected <Ref>List of violations</Ref>
- Info: Program homepage
- Forum: Stone Mountain School for Boys in NC, a thread on the Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora
- Forum: The Teen Help Industry a subforum on the message board of Community Alliance For the Ethical Treatment of Youth (CAFETY)
- Forum: The Troubled Teen Industry a subforum on the message board of Fight Institutional Child Abuse Network (FICAN)
- Forum: 5 Aspen programs closes, a thread on the Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora