Rancho Valmora was a therapeutic boarding school suspected of using behavior modification methods. located in Valmora, New Mexico <Ref>The facility on Google maps</Ref>
The program did hold 81 teenagers aged 12 to 18, and was said to last an average of 12 to 17 months.
It was founded in 1993.
They also involved the use of art in their treatment <ref>Emotionally charged works from emotionally disturbed teens - IN THE GALLERIES, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, May 12, 1996</ref>
The facility had an on-campus school. According to the webpage it was accredited by Advanc-Ed NCA-CASI (North Central Association-Commission for Accreditation and School Improvement) <ref name=faq/> The student/teacher ratio was approximately 8 to 1.
Beside communication by letter, the teenagers had two telephone calls per week. 1x10 minutes during weekdays and 1x20 minutes in the weekend. Parents were advised not to help the teenager with issues at the ranch <ref name="faq">FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS, homepage from the facility</ref>
- Michael Strand Jr. <ref>Dad Says Suspect Was Cop Informant, by Vic Vela, Albuquerque Journal, September 06, 2009</ref>
In the news[redigér]
The facility was mentioned in relationship with a several lawsuits <Ref>Laureen v. Colonial School Distric, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsulvania - The School District won.</Ref> <Ref>Appeal from the order in the Court of common Pleas of Alleheny County, Civil Division in relationship with the rather expensive program.</Ref>
May 2008 a father told the media how his son was beaten at the facility <ref>Beatings Claimed at High-End Juvie Camp, by Jackie Jadrnak, Albuquerque Journal, May 11, 2008</ref>
May 2008 a staff member was charged with abuse <Ref>AP:Youth Center worker charged with abuse, Daily Lobo, May 12 2008</Ref>.
In the fall of 2009 the program shut down <ref>SOCIAL LEARNING ENVIRONMENTS (SLE) CONSOLIDATES RANCHO VALMORA WITH OTHER PROGRAMS, homepage of the program</ref><ref name="heal">HEAL Newsletter: November 5th, 2010</ref>. On their webpage they referred to their two other programs. However the webpage of one of the programs does not function.
- Info: Program Homepage
- Forum: Rancho Valmora in New Mexico, a thread on Fornits webforum
- Forum: Grove School in Madison Ct. and Rancho Valmora in NM, a thread on Fornits webforum
- Forum: The Troubled Teen Industry, a subforum on the message board of Fight Institutional Child Abuse Network (FICAN)
- Forum: Smaller facilities, a subforum on the message board of Community Alliance For the Ethical Treatment of Youth (CAFETY)
- Forum: Wilderness treatment programs anyone?, a thread on the ivillage message board