The facility was placed on 2416, 340th Street, Keokuk, Iowa 52632 <Ref>The facility on Google Maps</Ref>. The former director - Brian Vaifanua - of the now close Paradise Cove has been sighted on the facility and is also reported as the owner <Ref>Area reps hold auditions for upcoming film, by Brennan Umthun/Staff Writer, Daily Democrats, November 8 2007</Ref>. The owners at the closure are mentioned to be Midwest Twister and Prestige Funding <ref name=dec2017/>
It used the WWASP level system. It was placed in a remote area with desert around it. Nearest town is Keokuk and it is placed almost at the end of the runway of Keokuk Municipal Airport.
The also had a smaller department called Midwest Treatment Center. It was located on 2818 Highway 218 in Montrose <ref name=J2016/>.
After WWASP was restructured they continued to maintain a very structured environment, but the exact nature of the program is not known as the student manuals were not online.
- In November 2006 two teenage boys managed to escape the facility and commited some vandalism while they were free. Whether they were released or transferred to Tranquility Bay, which were still open at that time is not known <ref>Two Midwest Academy students confess to Joyce Park vandalism, by Cindy Iutzi, Daily Gate, November 14, 2006</ref>
- in June 2008 a number of detainees were sent out to help with a flood in the area along with prisoners from a nearby prison <Ref>Keokuk water plant 'secure'; Guard assists in efforts, By Diane Vance and Cindy Iutzi/Gate City Staff Writers, June 16 2008</Ref>.
- October 2008: After several facilities have closed in the recent years, the management had to deny the rumors about a future closure <Ref>Trane says Midwest Academy isn't closing, by By Diane Vance/Gate City Staff Writer, Daily Gate City, November 4 2008</Ref>. According to the management the present number of detainees are about 144.
- February 2010 a former elementary guidance counselor was convicted of second-degree sexual abuse on a child under the age of 12 based on the testimonies given to staff at the academy in exchange for moving forward in the program <ref>http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/84038877.html Former IC Guidance Counselor Found Guilty of Sexual Abuse], by Elizabeth Kutter, KCRG TV, February 10, 2010</ref>. The convicted counselor applied for a re-trial <ref>Former IC Guidance Counselor Wants New Trial in Sex Abuse Case, By Anna Lothson, KCRG TV, March 15, 2010</ref>. He was later ordered to pay restitution <ref>Former counselor convicted of sexual abuse ordered to pay restitution, by Trish Mehaffey, The Gazette, November 24, 2010</ref>
- January 2016 a search warrant was issued by the police into a sex abuse investigation <ref name="J2016">Search Warrants Executed at Boarding School for Sex Abuse Investigation, BY KAITLIN MCKINNEY, 13 WHO TV news, January 28 2016
UPDATED: 2 search warrants executed at Midwest Academy in Keokuk; press conference Friday, by KHQA, January 28 2016</ref>
- The program closed 2016. The owner is now on trial for various charges <ref name="dec2017">Ben Trane, former Midwest Academy director, testifies, By Andy Hoffman, The Hawk Eye, december 6 - 2017</ref>
- Forum: WWASP - forum on Fornits
- Forum: Anti-WWASP Midwest Academy Forum (Registration required)
- Forum: WWASPS - sub-forum on the message board of Community Alliance For the Ethical Treatment of Youth (CAFETY)
- Forum: Teen Help - WWASPS, subforum on the message board of The Fight Institutional Child Abuse Network (FICAN)