Hongkai Education and Training School is a military boarding school located in Jinan, China
The target group is teenagers and young adults suffering from the so-called Internet Addiction.
The average stay is supposed to be 4 months, but some of the so-called students have been there for longer.
A typical day consist of <ref name=reddit/>:
- 6.:00 am - Wake up whistle
- 6:10 - go downstairs and assemble for a morning jog
- 6:30 - come back to dorms, finish folding blankets and get ready for breakfast
- 6:45 - 2 people from each team go to serve breakfast
- 7:00 - breakfast
- 7:30 - come back to dorms to clean (sweep, wipe all surfaces and mop)
- 8:30 - morning activity; this was usually training but we had classes when the staff felt merciful. Classes included chinese culture, calligraphy, chinese law, literature, etc. sometimes we just sat in the classroom and watched educational videos.)
- 11:30 - return to dorms and 2 people from each team served lunch
- 12:00 - lunch
- 12:30 - afternoon nap
- 14:00 - wake up whistle, clean dorms again
- 14:30 - assemble for afternoon activity (again, classes or training)
- 17:00 - come back to dorms, 2 people from each team go to serve dinner
- 17:30 - dinner
- 18:00 - come back from dinner
- 19:00 - Watch the news and report on it (students are picked to go up in front of everyone and repeat three articles of news and what they thought about it; it's supposed to help those kids who are usually really shy or have trouble speaking in public)
- 20:00 - assemble outside for exercise; this was our toughest hour. Basically, the staff that was on duty that day could train us however they wanted; laps, duck walk, pushups, squats, bunny hops...)
- 21:00 - go back to dorms, brush, and sleep
- 22:00 - lights out
The teenagers are allowed to speak to their parents after 2 months and can get a visit after 3 months <ref name="reddit">I just spent 4 months in a Chinese boot camp with no Internet or phone. AMA!, a thread on Reddit</ref>.