High Peaks Wilderness Program
High Peaks Wilderness Program was a behavior modification program using wilderness therapy as tool.
It detained youth aged 13 - 18.
It closed in 2002.
The program used a level system with two levels and the program lasted about two months.
The detained youth stayed in the first phase until they were broken down. This phase was a normal wilderness program complete with isolation and limitation of foods and communication.
The second phase was a adventure phase involving fishing, swimming, and involving in various kinds of learning. A home visit could be a part of this phase<Ref>New Perspectives - Sep, 1999, strugglingteens.com - industry marketing firm</Ref>
In the news[redigér]
In 2002 the authorities in Utah closed the program down because they found that the detained teenagers was not equipped to deal with the harsh environment. The program relocated to Montana, where there are almost no regulations to this very day <Ref>State takes custody of teens in wilderness therapy program found with limited food, shelter, By JOHN MacDONALD, Associated Press Writer, Associated Press, August 9, 2002 (Reprint from project Nospank)</Ref>.
- Info: High Peaks Wilderness Program, a notice found about the closure
- Info: Outdoor behavioral healthcare, report
- Info: 'Wilderness therapy' teens taken into protective custody, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, August 10 2002
- Community group: I Survived Wilderness, Facebook
- Community group: Wilderness Program Graduates, Facebook
- Forum: This is awful, a thread on Male Survivor Forum
- Forum: Anyone go to Wilderness in Utah, 2000, a thread mentioning the program on Fornits webforum
- Forum: New List of Reportedly Abusive Programs In Utah, a thread mentioning the program on Fornits webforum
- Forum: hi, a thread mentioning the program on Fornits webforum
- Forum: Teens in Money-Making Programs: Who really benefits?, a thread mentioning the program on Fornits webforum
- Forum: The Teen Help Industry a subforum on the message board of Community Alliance For the Ethical Treatment of Youth (CAFETY)
- Forum: The Troubled Teen Industry a subforum on the message board of Fight Institutional Child Abuse Network (FICAN)