Abundant Life Academy
Abundant Life Academy is a behavior modification facility located in Kanab, Utah and Jessup, Georgia.
The program was founded around year 2000 by Craig and Wendy Rogers <Ref name="ala_his">ALA history - program homepage </Ref>.
They have previous been active in Mexico until the Mexican government decide to close down most of facilities in their country runned by the American behavior modification industry in 2004 because the conditions in these facilities were not up the standard set by the authorities <Ref name=ala_his/> <Ref name="minute">74 AMERICAN KIDS FOUND IN MEXICO SCHOOLS, DEPORTED, By MARK STEVENSON, Associated Press Writer, December 10, 2004 </ref>.
They have also been active in the Czech republic before relocating all the activities outside the U.S. to Hidden Canyon Ranch in Nevada <Ref name=ala_his/>.
In 2005 the Child protective service in Nevada closed the facility down and removed the children. After a trial the owners of the program decided to move to Utah where regulation of the behavior modification industry are almost non-existing <Ref name=ala_his/>.
The are presently located in the facility that at once house a WWASP facility named New beginnings Maternity home. They do however run a totally different program based on a totalitarian belief in Jesus <Ref>MISSING PREGNANT TEENS - NEED YOUR HELP, thread on fornits webforum </Ref>
They use a kind of level system consisting of 3 tri-mesters. The level system covers most all aspect of the daily lives of the detainees.
- Individual privileges decided from case by case. The detainee must type out a proposal of privileges and the Directors and APD must approve or disapprove certain privileges. Staff must be given a copy of the privileges.
Being sent to Midcourse Correction Challenge Camp for a weekend <Ref>PERMISSION TO ATTEND CHALLENGE CAMP WEEKEND, PDF from Abundant Life Academy</Ref>. Survivors also speak about being restrained without reason <Ref>Statement from Benjamin D. Donahue, HEAL-online homepage
Abundant life academy, a thread on Fornits webforum</Ref>.
- December 2004: The campus in the village of Lake Chapala in Mexico was closed down <Ref name=minute/>.
- August 2009: After having learned that the facility was researched by various Non-governmental organizations (NGO) where some of the members of these NGO's post of the Fornits messageboard, the manager of the facility tried to approach the hosting firm where the Fornits messageboard is hosted today <Ref>ALA vs Fornits. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, a thread on Fornits webforum</Ref>. This approach based on undocumented claims that the message board had controversial threads (made by an IP-number from Utah) on it and it failed.
- October 2010 a 17 year old boy escaped from the facility. A car chase ended in a crash and he was transported to the Flagstaff juvenile detention facility which improved his living standards and gave him legal representation <ref>High speed chase ends with spikes in Marble Canyon area, by Kelly Hilding, Southern Utah News, October 13, 2010</ref>
- December 2010 an article in the local newspaper spoke of financial difficulties <ref name="sun12">Abundant Life Academy has employee shake-up, by Dixie Brunner, Southern Utah News, December 8, 2010</ref>
- Late 2011 they moved the entire operation to St. George where they took over a campus which used to house Sunhawk Academy <ref>Promotional video of the new facility, Youtube</ref> <ref>The St. George Campus on Google maps</ref>
- Info: Program homepage of the Kanab facility
- Info: Program homepage of the Jessup facility
- Info: Kanab, Utah City Council Meeting - Sep 13, 2005 Meeting Minutes, The text from the meeting mentions the facility
- Info: Seeking Information from Former Parents & Staff to Help Us Defend Against Lawsuit Filed by Abundant Life Academy of Kanab, Utah