Outback Therapeutic Expeditions
Outback Therapeutic Expeditions is a behavior modification program using the concept of wilderness therapy. The areas around Sheeprock and Simpson mountain ranges is used to detain the teenagers. The target group is teenagers between 13 and 17. The program was founded in 2001 <Ref>NATSAP info about the program</Ref>. However they used to operate under the name Walkabout in the past. It changed it's name in 2004 <ref>Aspen Education Group's Walkabout Therapeutic Expeditions Changes Name to Outback Therapeutic Expeditions., PR Newswire, September 20 2004</Ref>
Presently the program is owned by Aspen Education Group.
The stay claims to be between 6 and 10 but usually ends up being 8 weeks It is the staff together with the parents, who decide when the teenager can be released. Each teenager is placed in single gender groups.
Wilderness courses like this one is often used in custody wars. In a thread a father explains that his wife had his son taken to this specific wilderness course and he could not do anything about it because the wilderness course was in another state than the homestate of the boy, which meant that he had to file a lawsuit in Utah, which he could not afford <Ref>Outback Therapeutic Expedition /Second Nature, a thread on Fornits webforum</Ref>.
In the news[redigér]
- 14 year old Blake was banished to Outback, when his father on a Dr. Phil entertainment show admitted that he had some problems being a father after spending 8 1/2 years in prison <Ref>Families on Fire: Managing Crisism, Dr. Phil show</Ref>
- In 2017 it was revealed that Jason Scott Calder who later was charged with rape, forcible sodomy and forcible sexual abuse had been working at the wilderness program. October 2017 there was no information that he had taken advantage of teenagers at Outback Therapeutic Expeditions but investigation is ongoing <ref>Utah County therapist arrested for alleged sexual abuse of underage girl, by Asthon Edwards, FOX 13 News, September 26 - 2017</ref>
- Info: Program homepage
- Info: About the program on Secret prisons for teens
- Info: Self Reflection, by Stephen Muennemann, BluePrint E-zine, March 27th, 2008 (A story involving Outback Therapeutic Expeditions, Innercept and Menninger)
- Survivor Group: Walkabout/Outback Wilderness Utah, Myspace
- Survivor group: Group for survivors of wilderness program, who are alive to tell their story, Myspace
- Survivor Group: Wilderness Program Graduates, Facebook
- Survivor Group: I Survived Wilderness, Facebook
- Survivor Group: Outback Therapeutic Expeditions, Facebook
- Survivor Group: Outback Wilderness Kids, Facebook
- Forum: About Aspen Education on fornits.com
- Forum: Outback Therapeutic Expeditions, a thread on Fornits webforum
- Forum: TIM LOWE Now at Outback Therapeutic Expditions...not disclos, a thread on Fornits webforum
- Forum: Aspen Education Group Programs - subforum on the message board of Fight Institutional Child Abuse Network (FICAN)
- Forum: Aspen - subforum on the message board of Community Alliance For the Ethical Treatment of Youth (CAFETY)